Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Oh, they grow so fast...

You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once. ~Polish Proverb

It seems like just yesterday he was born. He gets so embarrassed when I talk about him being my baby. He's such a big boy now. Looking at this photo, I remember when the Easter bunny brought that bike to him 2 years ago.. with training wheels.. and look at him go. Now time for a new bike, next thing ya know, we will be in highschool, then graduating, then college... boohoo.
I am blessed.

You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back. ~William D. Tammeus

It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself. ~Joyce Maynard

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"



No comments: