Friday, March 13, 2009

My heart is scared...

My friend Tonya's recent successful search for long lost family inspired me to start my own search.
I don't think I had any idea what I was getting myself into. My life is great as it is. My mom and I have grown closer over the years and the only man that has ever been a father figure to me, Kraige is an awesome Grandpa to my boys. I've told myself many many times that if my biological father wanted me in his life then he would have looked for me. That it's his loss for not knowing me and my family. I secretly hoped it would weigh heavy on his heart if he knew about us.
As I write this, my heart is fluttering with anticipation. I found my biological dad's two kids on Facebook- gotta love Facebook! After they so kindly accepted me as a friend, I've browsed their pages to see the description of their lives. As much as I think it's awesome that they are a very close brother and sister, I've got this overwhelming feeling of jealousy. They speak of this wonderful dad and grandfather they have and my heart breaks. I don't understand why I never knew that wonderful dad. I question why my boys don't know that awesome grandpa. I question why my Mom felt it was "best" that I didn't know why my dad was until I was older. I question why my "dad" never felt it necessary to search for this daughter he had. Or, did he search and my mom keep him away? I feel this huge hole in my heart now for the life I could have known, for the people that could have been a huge part of my life, for all the love I've missed out on. As I looked thru the photos of the family, I see so much of myself in them. The pictures of the new grandbaby strongly resembles my little Zane when he was a baby.
How does one take all of this in? What will happen if they don't accept me? If they don't want to get to know me? I don't think I know what I've got myself into.
My heart is scared. I'm scared of rejection. I'm scared of heartbreak.

2 comments:

tonya said...

We will do this together and one day at a time. I'm so grateful that I have you as a friend and we will share our accomplishments, our heartbreaks, and our FULL hearts together. Love you!!

Eva said...

Beautiful story.... I hope you are able to find joy in a reconnection with your dad. Love the new blog design!