Monday, February 16, 2009

I sowwy mama

My dear boys.. Colby and Zane. Why is it that being a mother some days is completely heartbreaking. Colby is 6, going on 15 and Zane is almost 3 and going on whatever Colby is. They whine, bicker, pester, aggravate, poke, pick, slap... etc. etc. Just to get each other all huffy and mama to yell. I think they like me to yell somedays. I really wish they didn't because it makes me feel like a bad mom and I know I am not. They have always been the best behaved boys, but the last 6 months or so it seems that the little shits, yes- I said little shits, have a mission to drive me crazier than I already am. I actually made little Zane put his nose in the corner the other day because I didn't know what else to do. In one ear and out the other.. then he looks at you with the sweetest little eyes and puffed out lip 'I sowwy mama' Yeah, sure, how do you not just pick him up and say 'ok, honey, just don't do it again' Ugh. Then there's Colby. He's got the Kindergarten attitude. I've always told him that he gets all his goodness out when he's at school. Doesn't have any left for home. I swear it's true too. So, after this weekend of continuous bickering, whining, pestering. etc.etc. we have officially grounded Colby for the first time from his 4-wheeler. Now, if you have a little farm boy yourself, then you know just exactly how traumatizing being grounded from your 4-wheeler can be. There were tears... tried really hard to hide them, but yes they were there. On top of that, I have found this behavior form online.. it's a picture of a truck and for every good day of behavior they get to put a sticker in the truck. The brother that fills the truck up first gets a prize. Not yet decided what prize... guess we will see when someone fills that truck... haha. Let's hope it doesn't take that long! So, after this crazy stressful weekend, I became that mom... with the charts. Ugh. But, whatever works is my goal for now.
So, good news, this morning.. Colby got out of bed. Dressed. Shoes. Brushed teeth. I didn't have to raise my voice once. He was early, came and cuddled on the couch with me before it was time to go. Picked up his clothes and turned off lights without being told. WHY WHY WHY did we have to ground and create charts to get him to cooperate??? Zane woke up perky as always. Has been a little angel all day.
We'll see how well the behavior chart works.... I cross my fingers. I know they are good boys, it's just getting that goodness to come out at home!

2 comments:

Traci said...

Can you tell me where I can get a "truck"- good boy chart...I need two of them ASAP!!! :) For real! :)

JD said...

I think that any mother of boys who can get through a day with never having to raise her voice to her kids apparently has access to better prescriptions than I do. And she must use them on herself and her kids both. If you were a bad parent, you would never think that you were. It's kind of like my theory about crazy people. Crazy people never think they're crazy. So if you ever think you are nuts, it's a sign that you are absolutely sane. Hey, it's about whatever gets you through the day right?